Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Extended day of carving





I woke up around 11 this morning, minutes before the gallery was supposed to open. I had to quickly scramble to get dressed and get to do the fine-tuning of my art that I had stayed over to do. One at a time I took a soap stanchion from the exhibition to the kitchen-, which functioned as my "green room" or back stage. I wanted to carve the bases a bit more- making them a little more uniform. In the end- I decided that I did not want them to have cords between them- like the drawing has. Especially after my lecture and conversations about whether isolation is the result of external or internal factors- I feel like often barriers are invisible- stemming from our perception of a given situation. I almost feel like the eye connects the posts together, although a few people thought that they were graveyard crosses. I guess they can also symbolize the prison population, which in some ways has been buried alive. Throughout the day only about 4 people came to visit the gallery. A man who's title escapes me- but is the head of one of the departments at the university regarding art and culture- came and spoke to me in the back- saying that he was moved- or rather "immobilized"- he put it-feeling a complete drain of energy while looking at my meal trays. I guess he meant it as a compliment- saying that "good art" is not always pleasant to experience. I heard after he left from Kaisa, that he suggested that she contact the local Tartu prison and give an open invitation for inmates to visit the exhibition. I guess there are some inmates on minimum security that may be able to come for a visit- with a few security guards. I even offered to give another lecture just for them. Wouldn't that be great- if some Estonian inmates could come and look at the work that Marcel and I have made in collaboration! I will have to see how they respond. In the meantime I am busy writing my responses to the questions for the interview- for SIRP paper....
It was nice to return to Mooste this evening, although I forgot that I needed to get up and walk towards the front of the bus to indicate that i am getting off at the next stop= so he let me out a little past the bus stop-

1 comment:

Manoël said...

j'aime beaucoup ce labyrinthe...je me souviens de quand tu m'a parlé pour la 1ere fois de ces "stanchions".