Sunday, May 4, 2008

First Sunday


After staying up until 2am carving keys I slept in until 11. I am enjoying creating my own schedule- I decide when to sleep and when to wake up. I eat if I get hungry- otherwise I don't, or maybe I’ll just drink a glass of kefir & move on. This morning I was out of milk & so I went to the store-, which is open on Sundays until 3pm. As I entered, a man that was exiting spoke to me- I kind of just nodded my head & smiled- what else could I do? It was the same shopkeeper, who recognized me & gave a slight smile. This time around I felt a little more confident about picking out my groceries. I bought milk & splurged on some honey for 44 eeks (& just for the record the currency is the Estonian krona & it is not pronounced "eek" as in I saw a mouse.)
I decided to buy the last two bars of soviet soap, which I am sure raised some curiosity in the shopkeeper- as it is the lowest grade cheapest soap they carry. The guy in front of me despite being Sunday & barely noon was already drunk and buying yet more beer, he was trying to engage in a conversation with me & he seemed a little disconcerted that I was not responding whatsoever. I sniffled a bit from my runny nose & he started to imitate me in attempts to have some sort of interaction even without words. I could tell that that the shopkeeper was a bit embarrassed and was trying to expedite the transaction with him as he searched his pockets for change & ended up handing her a credit card. On my way out he politely held the door for me & said "bitteschon" -assuming I was German.
Estonian word of the day: "Head odd" meaning Good night.

2 comments:

Josh Koenig said...

In addition to all this being really truly interesting stuff -- the grist of which global civilization is made -- I must say I really like your prose style.

"Maybe I'll just drink a glass of Kiefer and move on."

Manoël said...

In french, on dirait : "On s'y croirait..."
I feel like if I was with you on this shop...
Et j'imagine très bien le dimanche matin, ce genre d'interaction avec les habitants d'une autre planète, dont le simple fait de renifler constitue bizarrement une sorte de lien universel... et assez comique!
bravo *