Sunday, May 18, 2008

Teaching chess


It was another long day of carving soap stanchions. Evelyn suggested that I organize "a bee"- work party to get my carving done the fun way- While working with a couple other people- including Evelyn- I had a slip of the knife- and I sliced into my finger by accident. Evelyn bandaged me up- and for the rest of the day I wore my fingerless gloves- as some sort of barrier- that at least psychologically made me less vulnerable to the blade.
I was surprised to receive Diana- one of my devoted carvers from the fifth grade. We had made a date on Wednesday for me to teach her how to play chess- on Sunday at 5pm- & she remembered-so I had to honor her with a game, which ended up being two. The second- "a stale mate"- & it was my mate.

I took a long walk in the dark tonight around midnight. I walked down by the lake and even on to the dock- heading out over the water, which was full of reflections of trees and clouds. An occasional fish would pop out from the water half surprising me. I stood there almost feeling like I was to give a speech to the night- when I looked down something seemed to be glowing in the dark- on closer examination I realized that it was not glow in the dark stickers or splotches of paint but rather- duck poop. I kind of laughed to myself thinking about how something so grotesque could look so ethereal in the right light. Mooste by night seems especially vacant, I managed to run into a cat- who followed me home.
Estonian word of the day: "Tuhi" meaning empty.

No comments: