Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Up until the last minute







I worked up until the moment people began entering the gallery- took two minutes to change into the vintage dress which I packed especially for the occasion. However, I ripped a hole in it as I dried my hands off on it- forgetting that I was wearing weathered silk. My audience was rather small- I guess it is the time for exams in the university (which is where the usual audience comes from)- However it was an attentive audience with good questions. I had someone ask me when I felt the most isolated in my life- under what circumstances- & whether it was triggered from something within or external factors.
I also had Kaisa, the young woman who runs the gallery there with her laptop taking notes for the interview that she is doing for the national newspaper of culture- called "Sirp". Apparently after receiving my small text summery of the show they were interested in a larger article. This will be the first time that the Y- gallerii is mentioned in this paper, from what Kaisa says this paper usually only reviews exhibitions in Tallinn. Also I will be sure to mention MoKS, Center for Art and Social Practice so that they are not left out or shortchanged. It was for MoKS that I came to Estonia, the show was just a bonus.
After my lecture a group of us celebrated by going out to eat food from Georgia- and talk about "wedgies" & how things like that can become universal through cartoons and other such instruments of globalization...lots of laughter- which felt good after the build up of stress to get the show up. I decided to spend one more night here in the gallery with my art- to live with it- make some small adjustments before I open it up again to the public tomorrow. Then I plan to return to MoKS, to enjoy a few last days in Mooste-post exhibition wind down. I would like to sip a few more cups of inka & have a few more solitary walks on unpaved roads before venturing over to Switzerland to check out Art Basel, & see what the "Olympics of the art world" has on display.

2 comments:

marcos said...

Bravo! Well done Anita!

Manoël said...

clap clap clap !