Friday, May 23, 2008

Suur Munamagi


Sarah invited me to join her on an excursion to the highest point in Estonia, Suur Munamagi. She was heading out to paint & thought she would ask if I wanted to come along for the ride. I decided to bring all of my carving with me- to sit outside & carve in the grass. The highest point was actually so covered in trees that you could not see anything without climbing to the top of this look out tower. There was also an elevator option- but it was twice the price-so we hiked to the top. It was rather windy & not such a good place to paint after all-but we could see as far as Russia & there were arrows indicating the different directions of all major cities as well as Mount Everest. We descended the “Estonian Everest” -which took about five minutes and drove to a small picturesque village called Rouge- which all of the roads seemed to lead to. Behind a red roofed church we found a small dirt road looking out over the deepest lake in Estonia-with swans, flower sprinkled hills & forests it was the perfect place for Sarah to set up her easel and to put on her smock which reads “do not disturb” on the back. Apparently she wrote this request- while living in the USA -& having various people bother her for photos or to see what she was painting. In this remote setting it looked rather funny. The view, although beautiful didn’t do much to assist me in getting my carving done, but it was nice to spend such a beautiful day outside of my studio. After the light changed too much for Sarah to continue painting we packed up & returned to Mooste. She prepared fried rice for the two of us as I continued carving. After dinner we stayed up carving together fueling ourselves with dark chocolate, red wine, & lively discussion. She drove me back to MoKS around midnight with 88 finished stanchions.

No comments: