Monday, May 12, 2008

Mindful walking





If you ever want to practice "mindful walking"- go outside right after a rainfall in a place with lots of snails- & try walking without hearing any crunching sounds under your feet. This afternoon the electricity went out and so I had no light. I was preparing for an early night to bed- maybe try to read by candle flicker, but then the light came back on. I guess it happens rather regularly according to the teacher who lives next door. She was explaining to me that her lights were working but not her refrigerator this time. After living in a small rural school in Brazil for six months I am accustomed to having no electricity-on occasion. You just have to have your candles ready to combat the sudden darkness. I spent a good chunk of the day carving soap again. I decided to try to make a small set of stanchions, which I have been obsessed with for some time. I think that they represent the human desire to have order. They are supposed to guide people in the right direction at airports, keep "regular Joes" out of VIP entrances, & keep people from getting too close to precious objects in museums. With their polished chrome and red velvet cords, they serve as a polite way to express physical boundaries & limitations. This fascination with stanchions led me to photograph them in various locations in NYC last fall. I wanted to document their usage. I sent several photographs to Marcel, expressing my desire to make a huge labyrinth out of stanchions. Right away he drew me several pictures of what that might look like, which I brought here to Mooste. Now I would like to carve a small 3D model of a stanchion labyrinth out of soap and use simple white string for the cords which connect one to another. Since the excuse of having no electricity was no longer valid, I managed to finish my first pair. Now I just have to mass produce them. It seems to be a pattern for Marcel and me- that we design these projects that require us to make many of the same thing over & over.
Estonian word of the day: "Tume" meaning dark.

No comments: