Monday, May 19, 2008

To Tartu to measure the windows






I had to go into Tartu today to take my poster design into the Y Gallerii- where I will be having a show-in a week! Kaisa, the woman who runs the gallery- made a special visit to the gallery even though it is closed on Mondays just to let me come in and measure the windows- to calculate how many soviet white bricks I will need to block them out. I was worried about how I was going to install them without the risk of them tumbling down on somebody's head, but it turns out that there are double windows- with a space big enough between them for me to lay the bricks. So now I just have to gather enough abandoned bricks here around Mooste.
I saw an interesting installation of locks on a small pedestrian bridge near the bus depot. It looks like people just started adding locks to it- maybe for good luck or something and then it just became a fad- to add a lock. There were all shapes and sizes of locks. I even saw a bike lock. I took a small video of all of the locks while crossing the bridge as well as a few pictures. Maybe it was just one person that put them all there, but I prefer the idea of them just accruing there naturally....
The bus ride back to Mooste was pleasant, the sun was shining through the window & I could see lots of flowers in bloom and horses grazing in green pastures with old stone windmills. Looking at the scenery is about all I can manage to do in a moving bus; I have never been able to read with motion without feeling ill- so for me transportation time is reserved for day dreaming or as one of my dad's teachers would accuse him of- "wool gathering".
I spent the afternoon making another batch of paper pulp- & managed to finish covering all seven of my meal trays- with only one hand-as my other one is bandaged up- and I did not want to get any printing ink in my wound. Now I just have to pray that they dry in time- other wise I may have to invest in a hair dryer...
Estonian word of the day: "nautima" meaning enjoy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi anna! do you know that these locks is tradition among freshly married couples (mostly russians). they engrave their names on it and put lock wherever there is bridge and water parting two coasts.
see you on wednesday...

Manoël said...

Cet usage de cadenas me rappelle une autre tradition qu'on retrouve en islam, du Maroc à la Chine, celle de nouer un brin de tissu - ou bien aujourd'hui de plastique - en guise de VOEU, sur un arbre sacré, un mur ou un grillage... Je t'envoie une photo prise in the Seven Sleepers's holy site, Ephesus, Turquey.