Monday, May 5, 2008

Packages arrived

I am both thankful and a little surprised that all three of my packages that I sent from NYC have arrived safely to the local post office here in Mooste. The post office is located on the corner of one of the blockhouses. I picked up my parcels & brought them back to my studio to unwrap them and check their status. Only two pieces broke, but they can be put back together with super glue. Today I met with Evelyn, one of the founders of moKS, and she introduced me to the art teacher of the local school. She just so happens to be my neighbor- living in the same manor building where I am staying. She does not speak much English, but she understands a fair amount & Evelyn helped to translate to her my idea of inviting some of the children from the school to come over to my studio & to carve soap busts of each other. I would only show them my work & give a little demo & then they would be free to carve. I would like to include their busts in my exhibition in Tartu. I want to ask the children a question to think about while they are carving, maybe something about what they like about living in Mooste & what they would change-if anything. Tomorrow I will go into Tartu with John & Evelyn and see if I can encounter enough of this soviet soap that I have grown attached to for the children to use. My first art class will be on Thursday morning at 10:20. The ones that enjoy it and want to continue I will ask to bring their home keys next class- if their parents will let them borrow them for an art project. I would like to see all of the keys together, some modern, some old-school & over sized. Apparently many people do not even lock their doors, but rather lean their broom against the outside of the door to show that they are not home. Maybe I should try that in New York...
Estonian word of the day: "Palun" meaning Please.

1 comment:

Manoël said...

It is a very good idea to interrogate the kids about coarving
you should film them, for the exhibition in Tartu and pour la suite...
do you have a video-camera? does your camera is alive without its cable?