Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Dream catchers





I guess it is hard to make a spontaneous trip to Russia- because of the ten "working days" that it takes to issue an American a tourist visa. I guess I could have planned ahead a little more on that one. Maybe I will have to take a 36-hour bus ride down to Art Basel for a couple of days in order to compensate for the disappointment. First I need to get myself through my show. So I plan to camp out in the gallery Saturday & Sunday night- while setting up. There is a small kitchen and bathroom in the gallery- apparently all I have to bring is my own sleeping bag. I found out today that yes indeed I get to borrow this massive chain that I discovered half buried in the back of an old warehouse. Evelyn just had to check with the owners of the property and it turns out that I can take it for my show- as long as I bring it back after. After all the metal may be worth the weight of a six pack- once it is traded in at the scrap yard. The chain is large and long enough for me to coil into a massive labyrinth on the floor.
I had my last class with the fifth grade today & they were eager to learn how to make the dream catchers that I had promised to show them to make. I had gotten up early to prep the circle support structures out of Q-tips, but the children did all of the rest. I just gave a small demo and helped a few of them get started. I suggested that if they wanted to add beads- they could carve some out of soap to add to their web. Time expired before they were quite done, but I set up a time if some wanted to come back to finish. One of the boys keeps asking about having one of Marcel’s origami scorpions- and today even offered to buy one. I told him after the show I would gift him one, but he would have to write Marcel to thank him.

This afternoon I had a spontaneous visit from a local 19-year-old girl who is working as a graphic designer in the nearby town of Polva. I guess she had found my blog through the MoKS website. Feeling pressed for time, I offered her a glass of wine and I continued to carve as she told me about how her mother had moved her family from Tallinn to Mooste when she was 15 years old- & what an adjustment she had to make. She says she hitchhikes to work- that it is quite easy here in Estonia. I told her "easy" wasn’t always the issue- & asked whether it was also safe. She said that she has not had any problems so far. I used to hitchhike a lot while living in Canada, but it has been a while since I have used my thumb to get a lift. Although here with the language barrier I think I would be a little reluctant.
Estonian word of the day:"Vaikus" meaning silence.

1 comment:

Rachel Peddersen said...

you DID however hitchhike down the canyon in Utah to come and meet me...you're so dedicated to our friendship!