Saturday, May 3, 2008

Widdling away


Saturday night & I am sitting here in my studio carving my set of keys out of an old bar of soviet soap. The youngsters hang around the soccer field outside- & their gathering & the sounds that come from people socializing- even if I am watching it through the window comfort me. I am still not sure why I want to carve keys- but at least I am testing the soap out and making sure that it carves well- & it seems to prove itself as being the best one so far, as it does not crack or flake. It is beige and moist & says “flora 72%” on the front of the bar- whatever that is. All I know is that is stinks but carves well. Initially I thought about asking people from Mooste if I could carve them out of soap- just their head and shoulders- their bust- I guess one would say- but then I had this idea just to ask them if I could carve their house key- to represent their Independence/freedom & on the contrary their locks. Now I am uncertain. I know that I would like to have an excuse to interact with some people here- even if it involves having a translator. I have felt an urge to be out in public- & to make myself seen, and at the same time I have an urge to hide, because of my feelings of not really belonging here. Maybe I will do the busts & the keys as well as interview people about their feelings about living in Mooste and whether they find it isolating, as I do being an outsider.

1 comment:

Manoël said...

cette clé me fait penser à ce "verrou manqué" que tu avais fabriqué à Aix à l'automne 2005...